COUNTY OF ORANGE
550 NORTH FLOWER STREET – P.O. BOX 449
SANTA ANA, CALIFORNIA 92702-0449
August 19, 2010
Sheriff Sandra Hutchens has formed a volunteer group of the community’s top technology experts for the purpose of providing advice and consultation to the Department. The Community Technology Advisory Council (CTAC) will assist in defining the future of technology within the department and identifying areas where improvement and efficiencies can be found. The CTAC is 100% independent and focused on technology and best practices that can improve efficiency and the department’s return on tax dollars invested while maintaining the overall security and reliability of the Systems.
“I am very pleased with the team that was presented to me in our first CTAC meeting,” said Sheriff Hutchens. “The talent pool and experience Council Chair Kevin McDonald has brought together in support of our technology decision making process promises to inject positive changes from budgetary, administrative and tactical perspectives. In these times of budget cutbacks, the fact that these top professionals are volunteering their valuable time is very much appreciated.”
In late 2009 local technology leader, Alvaka Networks’ Executive Vice President Kevin McDonald, was appointed by Sheriff Hutchens to recruit and manage the new team. The CTAC consists of leading executives, technologists, cyber security experts, engineers, disaster recovery and business continuity experts and other specialized professionals from the community.
“Our first priority is to become familiar with the Sheriff’s operations, systems and most importantly the people and how they utilize the technology. Over the next several months our team will complete a round of tours of critical facilities that rely on technology to support the department,” said CTAC Chair, Kevin McDonald. “The Council will be looking at the current strategic plans, support models and technologies being utilized. At the outset, our focus will be to indentify efficiencies in areas where there may be immediate improvement and cost reductions.”
The Inaugural Community Technology Advisory Council members are:
- Kevin McDonald, EVP, Alvaka Networks, Inc.
- Ciaran Foley, Entrepreneur and President Tech Coast Venture Network
- Scott Swartzbaugh, SVP, Network Consulting Group
- Les Walker, CEO, DocuSource
- John Bilar, Vice President, Spectrum Video, Inc.
- Unnar Gardarsson, Director of Engineering, Alvaka Networks, Inc.
- Michael Siersma, Technical Director, CSC Consulting
- Tom Crone, VP Technology, Chief Financial & Legal Officer, REO World
- Robert Downs, Senior Engineer, Spectrum Video, Inc.
- Robert Schulz, Senior Network Engineer, Alvaka Networks, Inc.
- Julian Lambert, Vice President and Principal, RAZOR 360
For more information, please contact Public Affairs at (714) 647-7042 or visit the CTAC organizational website at
http://www.sherifftechadvisors.org . For CTAC Media Contact call Cara Stewart at Remarx Media: 949-290-5563 or write to