COO and CISO of Alvaka Networks, Kevin McDonald, sits down with Brian Sherman of IoTSSA for a very candid conversation on building a successful cybersecurity offering. He offers some great advice in this episode, such as using law enforcement as a valuable business resource to protect your clients first, and of course, yourself.
Kevin’s extensive resume consists of:
- Member FBI Infragard
- Member, High Tech Crimes Consortium
- Member, Exec. Advisory Board, OC Homeland Security Council
- Member, DHS Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Working Group for Los Angeles
- Member, US Secret Service’s Los Angeles Electronic Crimes Task Force
- Chair, Orange County Sheriff/Coroner’s Technology Advisory Council (T.A.C)
Kevin refers to himself as a practitioner, rather than an expert, as the landscape is rapidly changing on a daily—even hourly—basis. This requires all IT Service Providers to become a student in the field, and adopt an ongoing practice of staying educated and up to date.
Fear, uncertainty and doubt (FUD) is a reality, not a sales position. Only 1 in 5 companies will survive after a cyber attack. From a data breach to ransomware, they can be equally as crippling. Cybersecurity needs to be in the threat column of any organization’s SWOT analysis…from start-up to enterprise.
Brian and Kevin also discuss the value of accreditations and vulnerabilities that a third party analysis can provide for you and your clients. Alvaka Networks has earned the CompTIA Security + Trustmark, which is based on the NIST Framework.