Stop being a victim of Ransomware and take action today!
If you get infected with Khonsari ransomware, our comprehensive ransomware recovery services are available 24 hours per day..
Khonsari Ransomware Recovery Services
Has your business attacked by Khonsari ransomware? If so, you’re not alone. This malware is wreaking havoc on organizations worldwide, and many are struggling to recover from its devastating effects.
But don’t worry…help is available. Alvaka’s ransomware recovery services can get your business back up and running from Khonsari ransomware faster than just about any other firm. So don’t wait any longer – contact us today for a free consultation. We’ll help you put together a plan to get your data back, restore your operations quickly and efficiently, and get you back into business.
What is Khonsari Ransomware?
Khonsari has various features that make it stand out. Some of them include:
- Small in size (12KB)
- The infection process is not so visible; you could have an infection without being aware
- It uses encryption algorithms for which there are not likely any recovery keys, unless you pay the ransom. For example, it implements XOR on the first 16 bytes of a file and rotates with every new file
- Files can also be encrypted across various locations in a directory
- It uses AES and RSA encryption algorithm to encrypt files and hardcoded passwords for decryption (C&C server acts as a random key generator)
- Just like other ransomware, it drops ransom notes in all directories that contain encrypted files
How Does Khonsari Ransomware Work?
Khonsari ransomware spreads through unpatched PCs and servers, malicious spam email campaigns, or unpatched firmware (like that found in firewalls). If by spam email, it includes an attachment that appears to be a legitimate document but is an executable file. Unpatched software can compromise your system without a user even clicking on anything.
Once an unpatched system is compromised, or you open malicious file, the ransomware will encrypt files on the servers and computer it can reach. Khonsari ransomware will spread to other networked computers on the same network. It does this by creating a copy of itself in every folder containing encrypted files. Then, it will encrypt the files on those computers using the same encryption algorithm. Finally, it will drop ransom notes in each folder demanding payment for decryption keys.
Our IT professionals can eject the Khonsari ransomware bad guys from your networks by implementing security measures from something called a containment list. That list entails implementing and updating firewall rules, software patching, end-point detection and response software, segmenting the LANs, and implementing email filters. A multi-layered defense strategy is needed to stop the threat actors from continuing to do damage with this ransomware variant.
Other measures are sometimes required to prevent infections by Khonsari ransomware, such as DPI (Deep packet inspection) and IDS (Intrusion Detection System) on the firewall at your network perimeter, along with EDR software to help detect an infection in its earliest stages before files are encrypted.
Remember, maintain timely software updates for all computers, servers, routers, and firewalls. Monitor file systems for changes and the overall performance of the network. Educate employees on safe email practices, such as not opening suspicious emails or attachments.
Tips for Avoiding Ransomware Infections
There are several things you can do to help protect your systems from ransomware infections:
- Install and maintain anti-virus software;
- Make sure all software is up-to-date, including operating system updates and security patches;
- Use strong passwords and change them regularly;
- Do not open unexpected email attachments
- This article, Reduce the Risk of Ransomware & Other Cyber Attacks, provides much more detailed recommendations on what to do
How Alvaka Can Help
Our ransomware recovery decryption services can help if you have been infected with Khonsari ransomware. Some victims need to pay the ransom to be able to get their data back. If necessary, we can assist you in procuring the decryption keys. Our tools, processes and professionals will also work to remove the ransomware from your network. We are staffed at all hours with our US-based employees. Please contact us for more information.